Venezuelan reporters covering protest held by police for six hours
El Nacional newspaper reports that two of its journalists were arrested by the police while covering a protest by flood victims in the capital city of Caracas.
According to TalCualDigital, journalists Maolis Castro and Ernesto Morgado were arrested, taken to a police station, and released six hours later with a warning.
Venezuela’s National Journalism Guild (CNP) and the National Press Workers’ Syndicate (SNTP) both condemned the arrest, which continues a region-wide trend of harassment against journalists covering protests.
- Alleged Chávez supporters attack Venezuelan journalists
- New York police ordered not to interfere with journalists covering Occupy Wall Street protests
- Unidentified gunmen fire on Venezuelan state-run TV station
- Journalist arrested while covering protest in Chile
- Journalists arrested for covering "School of the Americas" protest in Georgia