Venezuelan reporters covering protest held by police for six hours
El Nacional newspaper reports that two of its journalists were arrested by the police while covering a protest by flood victims in the capital city of Caracas.
According to TalCualDigital, journalists Maolis Castro and Ernesto Morgado were arrested, taken to a police station, and released six hours later with a warning.
Venezuela’s National Journalism Guild (CNP) and the National Press Workers’ Syndicate (SNTP) both condemned the arrest, which continues a region-wide trend of harassment against journalists covering protests.
- Another media company critical of the Venezuelan government is sold: Spanish investors buy El Universal
- Freedom of expression groups alarmed by detentions of Venezuelan journalists
- Local and international journalists face restrictions from government when covering massive protest in Venezuela
- Venezuelan government broadcasts videos of healthy Chávez and pressures media to present picture of stability
- Venezuelan journalists denounce media censorship at OAS hearing